A few things have changed since last year’s gardening experiment. We found a new place–a really nice triplex in a good neighborhood. We have a small fenced backyard, with room for a much bigger garden than I had last year without sacrificing any play space for the kids.
While our landlord is great and I’m sure would have no problem with me putting in a raised garden bed, with my foot injury/chronic pain issue I think it will be easier to go with large planters like I did last year rather than building a bed. I will be making some changes based on what I learned last year, though.
First, I’ll be replacing the small and medium sized planters I used last year with larger ones. The large square planters that I used for most of the veggies last year seemed to be the most successful, and the larger window-box style were better than their smaller counterparts for lettuce.
I’ll also be trying a few things that I didn’t plant last year, and adjusting the amounts of some things that I re-plant this year.
The first seeds went in the ground today before I had to take a break and put my foot up to rest. They’re some of the early/cool weather crops and things that don’t do as well being transplanted, so they went right into the planters outside. In a few days, I’ll hopefully have some radish, snow pea, and carrot sprouts to take pictures of!
I have a very sweet friend that I’ve never met “in real life” (she is one of the founders of a wonderful cloth diapering message board that I joined while pregnant with DangerGirl) but I consider myself blessed to know her. She’s one of the brightest and giving souls I know.
Just a quick update, as it’s been quite a while since I posted anything! I haven’t forgotten about the series that are unfinished…life has just collaborated to make finishing them up a little difficult at the moment.
There had been some ongoing issues with the home we were renting and living in. At the beginning of August, one of those issues (electrical) reached a point where it (and the ensuing “repair”) was an immediate threat to our safety. So, the majority of our belongings are in a storage unit and we are staying in a relative’s home while we look for a new place. Unfortunately, this means that my craft supplies are packed up somewhere in storage. :(
And to add injury to insult, about 2 & 1/2 weeks ago, Mr. MR jumped on my ankle while playing. After no improvement all this time, I finally went to get it checked out, and I have a severe sprain (most likely a torn ligament). So I’m under “no weight bearing for a week” orders from a doctor, and have to go see an orthopedist.
I picked up another “the Knook” kit at Walmart so that I can get back to work on the series on that subject (and maybe keep myself from going stir-crazy). In the meantime, prayers for healing and that we find a new home are greatly appreciated! :)
This is the second in a series of posts on Knooking. Last time, I talked about my initial impressions of the recently released Leisure Arts “the Knook” kit.
This time, a little history lesson :) Read the rest of this entry »
A fun, relatively safe way to break into the world of fiber dyeing! Read the rest of this entry »
It recently came to my attention through Ravelry that a major craft publishing company had created a kit for the “Knooking” aka “knitting with a crochet hook” technique of knitting. Read the rest of this entry »
While at my LYS (that’s “local yarn store” for you non-fiber-obsessed followers) the other day, I picked up a new “beginner” sock knitting book. Read the rest of this entry »